Taking Your Pet To Europe

When it comes to taking your pet abroad, there are several things that you should know. So, read on as we dive into everything you’ll need to know about returning to the UK, vaccinations, and passports.

Pet Travel Documentation After Brexit (Europe And Northern Ireland)

If you’ve decided to travel with your beloved furry companions such as ferrets, dogs, assistance dogs, and cats, this information is directed to you. In the instance where you’re traveling with other pets, you should research some more. Determining the travel rules for the country as well as entry conditions are a must. 

As of January 1st, 2021, GB pet passports will not be valid if you’re returning to Northern Ireland (NI) or the EU. So, before your pet can travel after January 1st, 2021, you’ll need to complete the following steps. Doing so will ensure that you’re able to attain an Animal Health Certificate. This takes the place of the pet passport. 

 * Your pet is required to be microchipped.

 * Rabies vaccination is required. It should be noted that pets need to be a minimum of 12 weeks old before vaccinations are administered. 

 * A minimum of 21 days should pass before traveling after the primary vaccination.

 * No more than 10 days before you’re required to travel the certificate should be attained from your vet. 

If you continuously update the rabies vaccination, there is no need to repeat this process for either NI or EU trips. 

Acquiring An Animal Health Certificate For Travel (Northern Ireland And Europe)

In order to obtain the AHC, you’ll need to take your pet to a vet within 10 days of travel time so that they can issue and sign off on the certificate. You’ll also be required to present your vaccination history and the microchipping date. As such your AHC will be valid for the following:

 * Continued travel to NI or the EU for up to 4 months after the issue date. 

 * 10 days after issue into NI or EU

 * Pets will be allowed to reenter into GB for up to 4 months after the certificate is issued. 

Direct Travel Into The Republic Of Ireland Or Northern Ireland

Your pet must seek treatment for Echinococcus Multilocularis also known as tapeworm. However, this should be done at a minimum of 1 or a maximum of 5 days before you make it to Ireland. Additionally, your vet is required to indicate the full details on the certificate.

Arrival Into Northern Ireland Or The EU

For pet travel to Europe you are required to enter into the specially designed TPE or Traveller’s Point of Entry. At this point, you’ll need to display your AHC as well as proof of the following:

 * Pets microchip

 * Vaccination against rabies

 * Treatment for tapeworm

It should be noted that all ferry ports and Eurotunnel terminals are designated Traveller’s Points of entry. 

Repeated Trips Into NI Or The EU

If you’re planning to visit multiple times, it should be noted that your pets will need new AHCs. Hence, you should take them to the vet at a minimum of 10 days before. During the visit, you’ll need to display proof of rabies vaccination history as well as the date of microchipping. 

As previously stated, if your vaccination is up to date, you’re not required to repeat the vaccination for rabies if you intend to travel again. However, you’ll be required to administer tapeworm treatment if you’re planning to travel to Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. 

Returning To Great Britain

Thus far, there are currently no changes for those entering GB as of January 1st, 2021. However, your pets are required to have any of the following if you’re returning from the EU:

 * An AHC that was issued in GB for Eu travels

 * A pet passport that was issued in the EU before January 1st, 2021.

 * Tapeworm treatment should be given at least 24 or 120 hours before entry. However, approval is required for those that have been proven to be effective against tapeworm.

It should be noted that your pet is not required to have this document if they are returning from either  Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. 

Upon receiving the Animal Health Certificate, you’ll be able to travel with a maximum of five pets. In the instance where there are more than five, you must indicate if they are participating in a competition or otherwise. Additionally, an indication of animal health rules is also required before you can import animals into the EU.

Express yourself about the animals