I’m going to display some of the imperative owl facts for kids including owls habitat, diet, and behavior. Owls belong to the order of Strigiformes comprising more than 200 extant bird species. The majority of these birds is solitary by nature and is nocturnal too. Northern Hawk Owls are one of the owl types that are not considered to be nocturnal. They primarily prey small mammals, insects, and other bird species and some owls are also known to take on fish. Owls inhabit all throughout the world except in Polar Regions like Antarctica and Greenland, and few remote islands.
Interesting Owl Facts For Kids
Owls are known for their greater forward-facing eyes and ear holes. The beaks are very much similar to that of hawks speaking more of a flat face. The owl feathers can be attuned to concentrate more on sounds that comes from the surroundings.
These birds of prey have binocular vision with their eyes affixed on their sockets and they had to turn their entire head to make adjustments for the views.
Owls are adept to turn around their heads as much as 270 degrees in either direction.
These birds are prey is far sighted and they can’t visualize anything that lies within few centimeters.
Owls have exceptional visionary sense and are known to readily hunt at night.
The smallest owl ever recorded at 31 g (1 oz), with the length measuring at 13.5 cm (5 inches) and is the Elf Owl. Long-Whiskered Owlet and Pygmy Owl are some other owl species that are small in the same family.
The Great Grey Owl is the largest owl ever recorded with the length measuring at 70 cm (28 inches), with the average length of around 84 cm (33 inches).
The sounds of the owls vary considerably from species to species. These sounds indicate different signals such as the warning of potential predators.
In general, the owls plumage is cryptic, but several species have head and facial markings such as ear tufts, colored irises, and face masks. The owls living in wide open areas exhibit more markings as compared to other species.
They lay white colored eggs that are nearly spherical in shape.
Owls lay eggs with an interval of 1 – 3 days.
These birds do not build nests rather they employ other abandoned nests of other species like eagles and hawks underground burrows and caves.
- The majority of the owls is nocturnal and is known to actively hunt at night.
- There are some other species that are considered to be crepuscular and they will hunt at dawn and dusk. Pygmy owl is one of these types.
- Owls are particularly known for their surprising hunting strategies.
- The owls feathers render themselves almost invisible before potential predators. This is mainly due to its dull coloration.
- Owls do not produce any kind of sound while flying.
- Nearly all species are carnivorous and are primarily feed on insects, rodents, hares, and rats. There are some that are particularly hunt fish.
- A good number of owls share a native ability to fly just about silently and more gradually as compared to other birds of prey. The feathers are normally greater than other birds on an average.
- The brilliant eyesight of these birds of prey helps them to hunt even at low-light conditions. They do not employ echolocation to navigate them during flight.