I have gathered some of the most unknown angler fish facts for kids so don’t miss it. Angler fish has long been admired as an unappetizing fish although they are employed for consumption. Angler fish belongs to the order of Lophiiformes and these species are pelagic as they prefer to live in open water. There are certain species that are benthic which means that they inhabit in the shallow waters. In general, the angler fish inhabits across the continental shelf including frogfishes Antennariidae. These types of fish are known to reside globally. As apparent from the pictures of angler fish, these fish has a right to be cranky for their angry look. There are around 200 angler fish species, with nearly all fishes are found at the murky depths of Antarctic and Atlantic oceans. Some of these fishes reside in the tropical surroundings and shallow waters. With their unmistakable physical appearance of huge heads and dark brown color, these species are easily recognized. They can grow to a size of about 3.3 feet (1 meter). Mostly they are smaller than 1 foot. One of the most typical features of females is a piece of dorsal spine that overhangs above their mouths just like a fishing pole. The angler’s body is flexible so much so that it can easily ingest prey up to twice their own size.
If you are into kayaking, then an inflatable kayak is a great option. It is cheap, easy to transport and only requires a pump for inflatable kayak to inflate it. They are the most accessible way to get on the water and enjoy it.
Interesting Angler Fish Facts For Kids
- The females are considerably larger than males.
- The length of the angler fish measures around 20 cm (8 inches) or 3.3 feet (1 meter).
- These fish weigh around 50 kg (110 lbs).
- The group of angler fish is called school.
- They are carnivorous species.
- The anglerfish’s lighted attract shine with the help of millions of bioluminescent bacteria.
- There are certain angler fishes that generate light in order to tempt their prey. This is particularly true in case of bottom-dwelling species.
- The angler fish is also known as common black devil.
- These species inhabit at a depth of about 3,000 meters.
- The habitats of these fishes are found worldwide.
- The precise numbers of anglerfish are not known as they are found in the depth waters.
- The expected lifespan of angler fish is 20 years or more.
- These types of fish are known to exist in south-western Barents Sea, Black Sea, Mediterranean Sea, eastern Atlantic, while a few of them are also found in the Icelandic waters.