Not many of you are aware of all these essential pink dolphin facts for kids including insights about the Amazon River dolphin and Chinese White dolphin. The pink dolphin is a name given to the group of dolphins comprising Amazon River dolphin (Inia geoffrensis) and Chinese white dolphin.
The Amazon River dolphin is a mammal that inhabits in the freshwater of Amazon, Tocantins River, Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Araguaia. These animals are listed as endangered species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
Over the years, the population of these dolphins has declined rapidly possibly because of extreme hunting and habitat loss. The amazon river dolphins are also called boto, lo lo annaaaa, and bouto. The Chinese white dolphins (Delphinidae) is a humpback dolphin and is one of the species of cetacean. The adult dolphin reflects pink color markings. The pink markings are appeared to have been evolved as a result of blood vessels that were overdeveloped for thermoregulation.
Interesting Pink Dolphin Facts For Kids | Amazon River Dolphin
- The Amazon River dolphins belong to the superfamily of Platanistoidea.
- These dolphins spend most of their time in freshwater and their size can be greater than humans.
- The length of the Amazon River dolphins measure around 1.53 – 2.4 meters (5.0 – 7.9 feet).
- The males are usually smaller than females.
- The largest female ever recorded was measured at 2.5 meters (8.2 feet), with the weight measuring at 98.5 kg (217 lb).
- The largest male Amazon River dolphin was at 2.0 meters (6.6 feet), with the weight measuring at 94 kg (210 lb).
- These animals are capable to rotate their heads at 180 degrees.
What Do Amazon River Dolphins Eat | Pink River Dolphin Facts
The Amazon River dolphins primarily exist across Orinoco and Amazon and they build their habitats in lowland rivers with broad floodplains. These types of dolphins predominantly feed on catfish, piranha, crustaceans, small fish, crabs, shrimp, and small turtles.
- The male dolphins reach the maturity age at about 7 feet (2 meters), while females become mature after they reach the length of 5.5 feet (1.7 meters).
- The calves are typically born in the months of July and September.
- The gestation period lasts for about 9 – 12 months.
- At their first birthday, dolphins measure around 21 inches (80 cm), with the weight measuring at 15 pounds.
- I. g. geoffrensis
- I. g. humboldtiana
- I. boliviensis
Chinese White Dolphin | Pink Dolphin Facts For Kids
Amazing Pink Dolphin Facts
- The length of the Chinese white dolphins measure around 2 – 3.5 meters (6 ft 7 in to 11 ft to 6 in), while the young dolphins are 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) long.
- The weight of these species measure around 150 – 230 kg (330 – 510 lb)
- The lifespan of chinese white dolphins is about 40 years.
- These are mainly found in the Southeast Asia, Australia, and South Africa.
- The pink begins to dominate as the size of the dolphin increases. At birth they are black in color.
- These species are known to come to the water surface for breathing ever 20 – 30 seconds. Chinese white dolphins are adept to dive deep into the water.
- The adults are occasionally known to stay under water for more than 4 minutes.
- They are commonly found popping out of the water.
- These dolphins are typically found in groups comprising three to four individuals.
- The females become mature after 10 years while males reach the maturity age after 13 years.
- The infants are born 11 months after mating.
- The females give birth after every three years.